Sky closes 'non-core' social games wing

Sky closes 'non-core' social games wing

Friday, September 11, 2015 Totally Gaming
CVC-owned Sky said the decision came after a business review

Sky Betting and Gaming has closed its social gaming operations just eight months after it launched its first product.

Sky – bought by private investment firm CVC Capital Partners earlier this year - confirmed the closure to TotallyGaming.com by suggesting that it would now be focusing on “core products”.

The operator said that the closure came after a business review, which suggests that the company is undergoing a change of strategy following its takeover by CVC.

A spokesperson told TotallyGaming.com: “Following a recent review of our business operations, we have taken the decision to close down our social games business with immediate effect as it did not form part of our core business.”

Sky - which has Bet, Vegas, Casino, Poker and Bingo offerings - began its social gaming department in 2013, hiring former Facebook EMEA gaming manager Bruce Bale as its head.

Through a partnership with platform and white-label provider OpenWager, SkyBet launched Sky Hollywood Slots on Facebook, iOS and Android platforms earlier this year. Sky Hollywood Slots was downloaded more than 10,000 times on Google Play since its launch.

CVC paid £600m (€821.2m/$926.1m) for an 80 per cent share of Sky Betting and Gaming earlier this year, with media company Sky retaining the other 20 per cent of equity as it looked to “focus on the significant opportunity for growth in pay TV”.

CVC, formerly the owner of William Hill, agreed terms with Sky in December 2014, with the deal completed in March 2015
 

Latest
No alternative text provided

Smarkets steps up mobile offering ahead of World Cup

No alternative text provided

Why mobile content could be key to tapping into the US market

No alternative text provided

SofaScore - Maximising the Russian World Cup

No alternative text provided

DynamicMail acquisition to “hyper-personalise” Optimove emails

Gaming Products & Services Directory

The essential directory for the gaming industry