Camelot adds QR codes to Lotto tickets

Camelot adds QR codes to Lotto tickets

Friday, June 3, 2016 Totally Gaming

Camelot is aiming to further strengthen its digital offering by adding QR codes to all of its UK lottery tickets.

The codes will allow players to scan their Lotto, Lotto Hotpicks, Thunderball and EuroMillions tickets to discover whether they have won prizes.

The UK National Lottery operator recently revealed record sales of £1.6bn (€2.1bn/$2.3bn) across its digital channels during 2015, which was an increase of 18 per cent year-on-year. Total handheld device sales increased by 53 per cent, while smartphone revenues increased by 71 per cent year-on-year.

Tim Copper, Camelot’s digital director, told The Drum website that the QR codes will make playing lottery games a more convenient experience for customers.

“It’s getting harder for many of our retail customers to find out if they’ve won because we’ve got so many draws and some people have five or six lines on one ticket,” said Copper.

“Customers have been asking for this. It’s not something we suddenly thought of. They’ve been asking for an easier way to check their tickets.”

Mobile sales now account for almost half of all interactive National Lottery sales, and have been boosted by a range of new features, including instant win games, and the ability to buy tickets through the National Lottery app using Barclays Pingit.

“Mobile payments is exploding,” said Copper. “So we’ll keep building on the knowledge and experience from how people are using Barclays Pingit. We’re such an impulse purchase at the end of the day. You get a push notification on a Friday at 6pm and it’s for a £30m or £50m jackpot and within four taps you can play. We’ve worked really hard to improve that experience.”

TotallyGaming.com says: “The QR code may be considered a gimmick by some, but it makes sense for Camelot to link up its retail and mobile offering.”

Latest
No alternative text provided

Helio Gaming unites with Lotto Joto for African expansion

No alternative text provided

Inspired launches virtual sports at Pennsylvania retail locations

No alternative text provided

Satre vacates IGT role as firm lands Mississippi and Canada deals

No alternative text provided

IGT pens bumper 10-year deal with Michigan Lottery

Gaming Products & Services Directory

The essential directory for the gaming industry