Personality profile of bingo players yields unexpected results

Personality profile of bingo players yields unexpected results

Friday, July 8, 2016 Posted by Andy McCarron
The majority of bingo players are extroverts according to Wink Bingo

Research conducted by Wink Bingo, the online bingo operation owned by 888 Holdings, into the bingo sector’s player base has thrown up some surprising results, according to the firm.

A company spokesperson told TotallyGaming.com that the findings have provided some fascinating insights into what kind of personalities enjoy the game of bingo.

They explained: “Contrary to what people might have thought, over half of bingo players consider themselves to be extroverts and intuitive, taking a big picture view on the world, rather than focusing on the detail. The fact that bingo appeals to a range of personalities goes to show what universal appeal this simple and fun game of chance has.”

Using the Myers-Briggs personality scale, the study found that 60% of Wink’s players viewed themselves as intuitive, focusing on the big picture when perceiving the world, with the other 40% tending to focus on specific details more.

It was a similar split when asked for the way they make choices; 60% of the bingo players questioned said they tend to base their decisions on logic, while the rest class themselves as ‘feelers’; being led by their heart and values.

The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator has been used in all kinds of personality tests since the early 1900s. Constructed by mother and daughter team, Katherine Cook Briggs and Isabel Briggs Myers, it is based on Carl Jung’s concept that there are four principle psychological functions through which we experience the world – sensation, intuition, feeling and thinking.

While online bingo attracts players of all ages, almost two-thirds of UK players are under the age of 44. The data has been compiled into an interactive infographic which shows that 34.73% of its players are aged 25-34 and 29.9% are aged 35-44.

The research also found that a typical British online bingo player waits until the evening to log on and spends less than £100 per month on the game. When playing online bingo, 92% of players have used their laptop or desktop computer, and 47% have visited bingo sites via their mobile phones. Over half of those surveyed combine bingo with other activities – with 55% playing while they watch TV.

Totally Gaming Says: “While marketing-led studies such as these don’t usually have a large sample size to be totally representative, they do provide a valuable insight into the playing habits and psyche of some of the industry’s most loyal customers. The fact that 47% of players choose bingo as a game to help them ‘relax and unwind’ rather than provide high octane thrills is a particular eye-opener.”

Latest

'Robust' earnings for 'world's largest bingo operator'

LCB targets long term results with revised hybrid focus

Online bingo: Bede CEO urges industry to adapt

Mecca and Gala charity football match hits £24,000 goal

Gaming Products & Services Directory

The essential directory for the gaming industry